I can't speak to either the K-30 or the K-50, but I can tell you that
the low-light autofocus performance of the K-5II is NOTICEABLY better
than the K-5 (which is still a camera that I would recommend without
reservation). I'm not sure if the K-50 shares that improvement, or
not. But the K-5, K-5II and K-5IIs are all 14 bit systems, where (I
believe) the rest are 12-bit. The sensor is good enough to take
advantage of that extra "headroom" in the form of dynamic range (and
some better low ISO performance). The K-30 and the K-50 share a 13EV
dynamic range, where the K-5II is 14.1 (that's more than a full stop
better).

I think the K-5 is a Best Buy right now (you can still find the body
for around $650)
The K-5II is about another $250 ($896 at B&H)
and if he wanted to spend another $250 I would tell him to also
consider the Nikon D7100 which is like getting the K-5II performance
with a 24MP body ($1149 for the body).

--
Nothing is sure but death and Pentaxes.