> On 6 Oct 2013, at 08:56, eactiv...@aol.com wrote:
>
> LOL. Okay, another  one.
>
> MARK!
>
> Marnie aka Doe :-)  These are much better than  puns, guys. But not sure
> what to call them, made-up definitions?

Funny you should ask that, because the correct name for such a word is an
'akado'. The verb is 'to akado'. Sir Walter Raleigh brought it back from his
travels - a new word from the New World, along with tobacco, tomato, potato,
avocado, kangaroo and so on. Raleigh introduced so many neologisms, as well as
unsavoury habits, that the word akado was used precisely to denote this act of
both defining and trying out new things.

In fact, though, it was a terrible mistake.

Over there in Peruvuela Walt had seen a tribe of Inca greengrocers pushing
various tropical fruits to the top of a pyramid, ready to roll them downhill
for the annual mid-winter sacrifice to the great Lord Sunnidee (pbuh). This
caused a sensation back here in olde England, and the ceremony was taken up
with great enthusiasm, but being short of pineapples (and sunshine) we adapted
it and it became our cheddar cheese rolling festival.

The word itself, along with a deep folk memory of the original ceremony, has
entered popular culture but become corrupted over the years in the normal way
of these things.

Here is some rare documentary footage of unsophisticated Englanders from the
past acting out a version of the ancient Peruvuelian sacrifice ceremony:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc