On 10/7/13 3:56 AM, Larry Colen wrote:
This is somethingt that has been brewing in my mind for a while.  I didn't
have time to do more than just spew it out, without editing.  And it
was a real challlenge trying to phrase it as "there are people out there
doing a lot more work than you realize", and not come across as "I do
all this stuff for you, what are you going to do for me?".  I hope
I succeeded.

For what it's worth, Larry, I read it both here and on FB. I don't know what it was really about, but what I came away with is the feeling of "I do this thing and I want appreciation."

I'm sure the people you photograph do appreciate it, especially when you give them photos they can post to Facebook or whatever, but here's the thing; you aimed, in large part, at the event organizers, and your little rant will probably fall on deaf ears, for the following reason. They are not there to make it easy for you to take photographs. They are there to put on a dance, and their energies, by right, will be applied to that end. Anything else is beside the point, including photographers, no matter how good their equipment/skill set may be.

If you're that frustrated trying to get photos of the dances, leave the camera in the car. Go and dance. Find a woman who wants to dance, and spend the evening pleasantly. If you want to go take pictures, do that. But remember that your photographic activity ranks pretty low on the agenda.

You mentioned here in the thread, among other things, running a mail list. I don't run the PDML in order to be thanked for running the PDML. I run it because it's my feeble way to give back to the community where I've learned so much. The satisfaction I get from doing it is all the appreciation I need. That people are willing to contribute to it financially is not because I run it, but because the members appreciate the community as much as I do, and that is also very satisfactory to me.

Finally, it's almost never a good idea to post the first thing that comes into your head, no matter how busy you are. I think you may be coming to realize that.

My two cents.

Doug