On 10/8/2013 2:07 PM, Darren Addy wrote:
Thom Hogan muses on the K-3 and calls it what Nikon should be offering
as a replacement to the D300.
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/meanwhile-meet-the-pentax.html

In it, he makes a cogent defense of the APS-C for serious
photographers: "So let me put it as plainly as I can: people want a
top DX (or as in the case of the Pentax K-3, APS) system for a reason:
everything scales. Size, weight, and price. Sure, the D800 is a great
camera. Now stick the f/2.8 or f/4 zooms on it and add up the size,
weight, and price. You've left a lot of folk out of the market for a
top-end, serious camera. I know a lot of college sports shooters and
other pros who are using DX for those reasons: size, weight, and
price. They can't afford a full out FX system, nor do they want to
travel with one given the airline carry-on hassle we get these days."

Darren, I opine, based on my most recent experience of travel with my wife and our two girls that any DSLR camera (even the cheaper plasticky kind of lowly Canon models) is severe overkill for airlline carry-on unless you travel in style in business or first class.

I probably should put up some comparison shots or something...

Boris