On Nov 2, 2013, at 11:16 AM, Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The only time I use filters is when I need a polarizer. If you want
>> protection, buy a lens hood.
>
> Bill's right.
> For protection, buy a lens hood.
> It also improves contrast and reduces flare in your lens.

Thanks Bob and Bill, and to everyone else who’s replied. The pros and cons seem
about equal. Still I consider myself informed.

I have hoods for some of my lenses. Never thought of them as protection. My
thinking at present is to go with them, but to acquire filters for corrective
purposes—and for protection down the road should I change my mind.

A couple of related questions: [1] Larry spoke of using a neutral density
filter the other day. What are they for? [2] What’s your reaction to using a
clean microfiber cloth to wipe a lens?

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"I can explain it for you, I just can't comprehend it for you."

- Ed Koch