On 13/11/2013 9:53 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:
Bill, it is purely subjective. I have suffered enough grief from K-7's
sensor and frankly, the way Pentax treats highlights in their RAW
files seems to be rather unforgiving compared with those of Ricoh GXR
(any module with 12MP sensor). So, I don't want to take any chances.

Boris, it isn't subjective at all. This is one of those areas where DXO is a good resource.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/874%7C0/(brand)/Ricoh/(appareil2)/676%7C0/(brand2)/Pentax/(appareil3)/615%7C0/(brand3)/Pentax

Look at the DR. The K7 is 10.6 EV, the K5 is 14.1EV, the Ricoh GR is 13.5EV. They don't have the K3 tested yet, but I'm thinking it will probably place very close to the GR, based on what I've see coming off the camera. We know that the Samsung sensors used in the K20 and K7 never performed the way they were supposed to, if they had, it's doubtful that Pentax would have moved to Sony sensors in subsequent models. This is one of those times when being a professional pessimist is biting your ass.

bill