On 13/11/2013 10:42 PM, Boris Liberman wrote:
What is biting my ass, Bill, is my bloody cumbersome English. Let's see
if I can hit the target from the second try.
Missed again, Boris.

The measured DR is useless because it is theoretical. The measurements
were taken in controlled environment by people who specialize in doing
such measurements.

Well yes, that is the point of DXO measurements.

In reality the metering is not always spot on, and not because of a
camera, or actually only partly because of a camera, but also because of
a human error. Human being me here.

But this is the same in any camera.

Further, in my area of interest :-), contrast is usually extreme. Thus
even a minor error is what it is - an error. Now, the more DR I have -
the more tolerance/leeway for correction I am given.

Fair enough. I delayed this reply in hopes that DXO would do the K3 fairly soon, but it looks like this will not be the case. I am guessing that when they do test the K3, that it will turn in really close to the K5 at base ISO, I would think in the 13.5 range.

I don't pretend to be extremely accurate or well versed in terms of
using my camera. I usually set it to P-mode, dial in some -0.7Ev
correction and go on shooting. I try to deal with tonality of my
pictures in post.

So, I much rather have wider DR than more MP or more focus points, that
all. Like I said - it is subjective.

Oh, and like Larry pointed out - the more DR I have at base ISO, the
more DR am I going to have at higher ISOs...

Does it make sense now? Do I sound pessimistic?

You always make sense, no matter how unmercifully I tease you.

bill