On Feb 28, 2014, at 12:27 pm, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:

> can you post a snip at 100%?

OK since it's started raining and I have nothing better to do I've rescanned a
section at 4800ppi.  It just gets weirder.

http://gallery.multi.net.nz/photo/777/

It's definitely RGB but in a crosshatch pattern.  I am stumped.

Here's the full frame with some quick Photoshop adjustments:
http://gallery.multi.net.nz/photo/778/

The crop is from the left of the column's plinth.  The slide measures 56x54mm;
close enough to 6x6cm format.

I'm still trying to organise access to a microscope but that's looking unlikely
as the one I had in mind doesn't have a camera attachment.

> the pattern as far as i can make it out doesn't have traditional halftone
> angles, and appears to be RGB, rather than CMYK; this would suggest it was
> shot from a display or some other transmissive, rather than reflective,
> source; what that could have been in 1951 i have no idea - is the actual
> slide from 1951, or is it perhaps a repro slide shot off of a video of the
> original?

Interesting, isn't it?  I'd love to get the slide out of its mount but I'm
unwilling to remove it (I'd want an archivist to do something like that).

I've also noticed a fairly prominent hair in red so I'm wondering if each
colour was developed separately.  I've heard of a process where each primary
colour is shot on B&W film through a filter then reassembled later.

I might also send it to my favourite camera shop, they have a couple of older
guys there who might be able to offer an explanation.

Cheers,
Dave