On Mar 1, 2014, at 9:18 am, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:

> on 2014-02-28 11:37 David Mann wrote
>> I took the opportunity to bring the slide along so we could look at it under
>> the microscope and we managed to get a photo by holding her iPhone up to the
>> eyepiece.  I was skeptical but it came out rather well.  This is a crop of
>> the full-size photo to preserve as much magnification as I can get.
>>
>> http://gallery.multi.net.nz/photo/779/
>
> i've never seen anything like it related to electronic prepress, and niether
> the pattern nor the RGB nature of it is consistent with lithography; the
> distinct stripeyness makes me think of an imaging process where an image is
> projected through gratings onto film, and for each grating a different color
> filter is applied
>
> the "hair" may just have been dust present when the red portion was imaged

I might be getting somewhere...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paget_process

...but 1951 seems awfully late for such a process.  Given the date of the
Australian stuff, maybe the photographer used some old equipment / film that
was lying around?

I am not sure what the viewing filters look like - if they're thin enough then
maybe they were bundled together within the slide mounts, otherwise maybe the
slide was made by projecting the original through the viewing filter, although
that wouldn't explain the layered structure I saw through the microscope.  Plus
it doesn't really explain the red hair (maybe that came from the making of the
viewing filter).

Cheers,
Dave