It looks like a 3 or 4 color separation offset print so my guess would be with Paul that it is a photo of an image printed in a magazine.

Is the same pattern visible if you look at the print directly under a loup? I assume it is there. If not it would probably be a scanning artifact.

Sounds like a fun project!

Mark