My bicycle is a 1973-vintage Raleigh Super Course, in very good condition (if
you don't look too closely at the paint!), with all original parts except the
tires and pedals.  Despite many thousands of miles it's still going strong.

The problem is tires.

Short version:  The rims are "hookless" dimpled Weinmanns. Is there a modern
tire that will stay on a hookless rim? Or, how do a get a modern tire to stay
on?

Long version: A few years ago my tires were worn out, and I replaced them; but
after a few months the tube herniated between the tire and rim and blew out.
Fortunately it was the rear, and I wasn't going fast. I was also passing under
a stone arch bridge, and the "bang!" was spectacular.

So I replaced both tires with wire-rimmed, Kevlar-reinforced (for our
glass-and-nail-paved streets) Schwalbe Marathons.  They rode well for a couple
of years (70psi front and rear), but Saturday the rear tire exhibited the
telltale bulge of incipient tubular herniation (ITH).

Much time on Google has failed to provide an answer to this conundrum, so I
turn to the vast collective wisdom of The List.

Cheers,

Rick