Great advice, Stan.

It's a temporary fix though. The cardboard will wear at the tube and cause
complete, total and irreparable damage to the tube. You will be far from
anywhere when this happens. Trust me.

That cardboard boot should be used to get you to a bike shop or home.

Btw paper money works, too. Of course here in Canada the lowest denomination of
paper money is $5. And now it's plastic. Don't know how well that would work.

Cheers,

frank

On 24 July, 2014 1:18:06 PM EDT, Stan Halpin <s...@stans-photography.info>
wrote:
>To try to prevent incipient blowouts, try this road-side temporary fix:
>
>Find a piece of cardboard  along the road. Discarded beer six-pack
>works well. Cut/tear a strip several inches long, an inch wide or so.
>Place on the inside of the tire, between the tube and the weak spot on
>the tire. Put glossy side toward the tube to reduce the friction
>between the tube and the reinforcement. Reassemble and continue your
>ride. There is no reason you can't use this same trick at home.
>
>You could also cut a section out of one of your spare tubes to use as
>reinforcement, but the six-pack container approach has the benefit of
>removing some trash from the roadside while also dealing with your
>issue.
>
>stan
>
>On Jul 24, 2014, at 8:06 AM, Richard Womer <rickpic...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Thanks, guys. I'll check out Sheldon Brown's site. Steve, the
>> discussion at that link spans the whole range of opinions, from "no
>> problem!" ro "almost certain disaster."
>>
>> Meanwhile, I closely examined the tire in question, and there is a
>> small area where it has started to delaminate along the bead. Since
>> it's off the rim, I don't know if that is where the bulge was
>> appearing or not; but for now I think I'll just get another tire.
>>
>> Bob, the next time I get a flat I'll pop on over and check in with
>you
>> and Chris!
>>
>> Rick
>> http://photo.net/photos/RickW
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 1:22 AM, David Mann <dmann...@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>a modern tire that will stay on a hookless rim? Or, how do a get a
>modern tire to stay on?
>>>
>>> Could you try a tubular?  They're tires with the tube sewn into the
>casing and are normally glued onto the rim.  Still quite easy to get as
>many racers swear by them.  I find them expensive and fiddly and am
>thinking about selling my tubular race wheels to get some clinchers.
>>>
>>> Failing that, perhaps you could find more info on Sheldon Brown's
>website.  That's a treasure trove of information about bikes.
>>>
>>> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Dave
>>>

>>> --
>>> PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List
>>> PDML@pdml.net
>and follow the directions.
>>
>> --
>> PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List
>> PDML@pdml.net
>and follow the directions.

“Analysis kills spontaneity.” -- Henri-Frederic Amiel