Wide open metering was developed partly to overcome the issue of meter accuracy decreasing with decreasing light levels. In old camera manuals there were charts showing what f stop shutter speed combinations would allow proper metering. Those limitations haven't been removed. If you manage with stop down metering to lower the light below the meters threshold of accuracy you meter will recommend incorrect exposures.

However Ricoh is full of horse crap when they say that. K M aperture mechanisms are quite accurate when used as designed and when kept clean and properly lubed. However a lot of them are over 40 years old and have never been serviced in their working lives. I expect a large number of modern lenses mechanisms will be inaccurate or stop working altogether if not serviced in less than 1/10th that time.