That was my understanding as well. Also, yeah I realize that stopping
down makes the meter less accurate due to light levels. Even so, f8 on
a sunny day is not exactly dim. The pentax glass I have generally does
ok, maybe at most requiring a stop EV compensation. Usually to the
negative. As soon as you go wide open things start metering properly
though. Its noticeable. It also makes zero sense since the camera is
taking readings with the lens stopped down. It is possible that my
aperture mechanisms on some of my lenses need cleaned and
relubricated. Very likely in fact. So there might be some slop in
accuracy. Even so, that wouldn't give consistent overexposure.