An update on getting my 10-20mm f/4-5.6 repaired by Sigma in Ronkonkoma, NY:

They are impressively fast. They received the lens this Monday, and
it's back in my hands today.

Unfortunately, they seem to achieve this speed by not actually fixing
lenses. My complaint was "Uneven sharpness. Top of frame is
noticeably softer than bottom of frame."

The repair invoice said: "ADJUSTED AF DATA"

The AF on the lens worked fine. The problem is optical misalignment,
and there's no mention of optical work performed. Quick test shots
show that the lens is just as soft at the top as it's always been.

I've sent a bitch-o-gram to their customer service email, with a
photograph showing the problem in the "repaired" lens. We'll see how
they respond.