So..I'll throw my two cents into this discussion.

As others have said, Lightroom was designed for photographers and will do nearly all of what you need for image processing. A big plus with LR is that your editing is non-destructive so you can always revert back to your original image.

Adding to LR, Photoshop Elements will enhance your post processing if your editing has a need for layers. You can quickly and easily move from LR to PSE and back again. The latest version (v13) is said to nearly approach the full CC version in its ability to repair images. V13 of PSE is finally available in both 32 and 64-bit versions. The down side of PSE is that most of its editing tools are still only 8-bit. PSE is still an inexpensive alternative to the full PhotoShop.

OnOne Suite 9 is also a good choice as a supplement as well to LR. Its masking and compositing functions are extremely capable and the resize module is built on Genuine Fractals. Suite 9 comes in three flavors - LR/Aperture plugin - Stand alone - and Premium, which includes both the plugins and stand alone. It does require a 64-bit OS.

-p