Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Tom Reese wrote:
hi Larry, interesting project. You might want to put some kind of
compressible material between the wood and the mirrors. With your
current design, the mirrors could break if the wood shrinks during a

This would have been a very good idea. It would also have saved me some issues because precision would not be nearly so critical. Since the pieces are glued together right now, that won't happen with this one.

period of low humidity. You could eliminate the problem if you rotate
the wood so the grain runs vertically instead of horizontally.