On 2015-03-28 17:35 , Larry Colen wrote:
Set of photos showing construction here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157651606646662/

that's a fun project; i have shot through a small kaleidoscope (with my old point and shoot) and simply cropped the photo, with enjoyable results; can't easily lay my hands on an exmple; i'd think a Q would be a good choice

of course the image a kaleidoscope produces is pretty deterministic, at least if the lens is perfectly centered, so one could create even higher resolution results with an appropriate digital image image transformation; it seems to me it's just a step and rotate, with a certain amount of light fall-off …

here's a technique which looks like it could be adapted to make a proper three-mirror kaleidoscope:

<https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/creating-self-updating-kaleidoscopic-effects>