The M 40 and the DA 40 are supposed to be identical optically so if he's happy with the M 40's IQ it comes down to is the convenience of auto exposure and auto focus worth spending his marital capitol. I don't have to worry about that, but I do have an M 40 f2.8 and an FA 43mm f1.9, and if I hadn't gotten the M as a lens cap on a classic film camera body I wanted, quite some time ago, I wouldn't bother.

That said, $100 for the DA 40mm f2.8 Limited is a pretty good price.