There's not enough information here.
The guy has already shelled out for a K-3 and a Sigma lens. We don't get to
know how much that strained the marital capital. For all we know he could be
just looking for an excuse to go one step too far for his budget on his
shopping crusade, hoping that a forum of photography nuts will cheer him on.

The DA 40 isn't all that rare. There will be more opportunities down the road.

Jostein