As with all current consumer electronics, the customer is the quality assurance department. Just as manufacturing jobs are partially re-imported to North America every time you buy IKEA, (or similar), furniture.

Your story reminds me of the MB I replaced recently that had three memory slots, but wouldn't recognize any memory at all if more than one was in use.