Mark, ghm...
I didn't think about that "catch", a PC power supply without any molex cables. But, it makes sense if you have only a few drives, and they are all SATA, and there are no CD/DVD-drives (and floppy-drives! ;-) )

And yes, you need the power for USB 3.0 that is not available from PCIe:
USB 3.0 calls for 5 V, 900 mA (4.5W).
This is not always needed in full if the HDD has its own power-supply, but it's a must if those are "mobile", USB-powered HDDs. I don't remember PCIe specs and why the power cannot be drawn from it, maybe it is the voltage (5V) that is not available without a transformer from PCI-e x1.

Good luck!

Igor