You know, I would like to make the argument that no lens really "sucks." It's
all about how you use it. There's certainly more to a lens then how sharp it
is. In fact, when it comes to a portrait lens, I'm not sure sharpness should
be the number one criteria. No one wants to count the pores on someone's
nose. I have seen some exceptional shots from the Pentax 85mm soft lens.
Which, by many of the standards being discussed here, is an absolutely
"garbage" lens. It's made to be soft and it works beautifully. Other
photographers add filters, jelly etc to make a lens perform badly. If
sharpness is what's important, we would use nothing but macro lenses...