Well something has to be done. People driving cars kill tens of thousands each
year. If it was a disease it would be a pandemic.

And that's not even considering the thousands and thousands of premature deaths
caused by pollution from the actual driving of automobiles, the process of
extracting and manufacturing the raw materials used to make cars, and the
extracting and refining process for petroleum.

It's mind boggling, really.

So far nothing has persuaded us out of our cars. Either we'll be legislated out
of them or we'll hit peak oil and then it'll all be over. Mind you, I don't
think peak oil is anywhere near. We keep finding more oil but it's dirtier oil
with larger environmental impact (see: Alberta Oil Sands).

Cheers,

frank