I've got a utility called Free Commander, a free ware version of the program File Commander, it used to be a Shell replacement, when Windows allowed such things. It has a couple of modes which will allow views of all files in a sub directory tree. Which you could save to a text file and then search for missing strings. I don't know if there was ever a version of file commander for the Mac, but it's a there might be.