----- Original Message -----
From: Paul F. Stregevsky
Subject: Re: Pentax Program Plus

> I thought the whole idea of NAFTA--the North American Free
Trading
> Zone--was to do away with nonsense like tariffs for any
commerce between
> Canada, the U.S., and Mexico. What gives? Are used goods still
liable?

NAFTA was designed to allow free movement of goods between the
borders of the signatory countries. The simple fact is, it isn't
working because of protectionist policies of the US Department
of Commerce that put rather onerous duties on products coming
into the USA, in contravention of the NAFTA agreement.
In the situation at hand, the Canadian customs people refused to
believe that an article being shipped into the country was a
gift (not unreasonable) and applied a tarrif. Add to the UPS
charges which are always a ripoff when they trans border ship,
and the fellow got dinged.
GST is charged on any transaction in Canada, they seem to apply
provincial sales taxes first, and make the buyer go after a
rebate later, which I find a bit disgusting.
However, it had nothing to do with NAFTA.
What James got dinged for was because the sender didn't follow
instructions, and lied on a customs declaration.
An expensive lesson, to be sure.

William Robb