> On Aug 17, 2016, at 3:47 PM, Gonz <rgonzoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Cool story, interesting players.  Could be made into a movie!

Sadly, all the movies made about SJ tend to focus on his personality defects
and overdramatize his capriciousness and emotionality … because that's what
sells, not the fact that he was an amazing, brilliant person with a fantastic
sense of the market and an obsessive drive that built success out of his
massive hard work, with intense personal cost.

> The only things I find that don't fit my understanding are that Xerox
> didn't own any Apple stock but instead was given options to buy Apple
> stock in return for a peek at their PARC facilities.  Plus Apple
> didn't give out dividends until the 90's then they stopped and resumed
> much much later.

That's correct, thanks for the correction! … It was by promising Xerox that
they would become a majority player in Apple's success, and reap the benefits,
that Steve convinced them to make the investment and grant him access. If
nothing else, he was an amazing salesman. Xerox most likely made a fortune from
Apple stock before dividends were ever handed out.

Microsoft did too … When they "loaned" Apple $150M in 1999 or 2000, it was
really a discounted stock transfer that they reaped more than double the money
they'd put in within three or four years, and (btw) saved their Mac apps
division and kept it very profitable. So MS made out on their 'assistance' to
Apple like a bandit. All power to them for that one; at least that was
above-board business dealings, not underhanded horsepucky.