The thing about the IBM PC was that it was open architecture, you could build any, and I do mean any, device for the BUS, and in the early days Microsoft pretty much gave the OS away. I actually had a copy of QDos, which was pretty good, if you didn't expect to much. I worked on a couple of projects that were successful because of those factors.

The original MAC really turned me off, when I became aware that not only would I need to buy a machine, then a development environment, and even then I would need a hardware key to open the system to develop software.

On a PC it came with a "real" programming language. Sure the original PC BASIC was pretty crappy programming language, but you didn't need to install special hardware to write and test programs.

On 8/17/2016 7:27 PM, John Coyle wrote:
IIRC, Gates and Balmer bought a licence to CP/M, which had been the only really
successful OS for microcomputers, apart from strictly proprietary ones such as
that used by HP.  Even so, it was all a bit mickey mouse until IBM
steam-rollered into play with their IBM PC, which was basically vastly
under-specified, but was like a wet dream for many people who had suffered
using terminals on mainframes and minis!

John in Brisbane

-----Original Message-----
From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Godfrey DiGiorgi
Sent: Thursday, 18 August 2016 08:21
To: PDML List <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Mac Yosemite--"This is a bug, not a feature"

On Aug 17, 2016, at 11:16 AM, Bob W-PDML <p...@web-options.com> wrote:

On 17 Aug 2016, at 19:13, John <sesso...@earthlink.net> wrote:
On 8/17/2016 1:34 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 12:06 PM, P.J. Alling
<webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pisses me off that Microsoft is trying to make the whole OS more
Mac like, in some ways, mostly that aren't helpful.
Mickeysoft has been trying to make their OSes more Mac-like since
Windows 1.0. And they miss the mark every single time.
That is a base canard!

Micro$haft stole the Windoze look 'n feel from Xerox PARK fair & square.
And, unlike Steve Jobs & his NexT computer, they even PAID Xerox to
let 'em in there so they could steal a more accurate copy.

http://mspoweruser.com/bill-gates-response-to-steve-jobs-on-windows-ri
p-off-claim/
I thought I might inject some information into this rapidly-becoming-insipid
thread of BS. From the mouths of the players involved:

"It took a while for Steve Jobs to become interested in Jeff Raskin's
enthusiasm for the work going on at Xerox PARC. Jeff had been trying to get him
interested for some time but Steve considered Jeff too much of a geek to be worth
listening to. Eventually, however, Jeff learned the right way to approach Steve and
Steve went to a presentation at PARC where the Xerox teams working on graphical
systems, object oriented programming, pointing devices, etc, showed off some of
their latest ideas and technology.

Steve was immediately bowled over by what he saw and asked Adele Goldberg (then
manager of the group) for authority to bring his engineering staff in for a
closer look. Adele flatly refused to grant access. She sent a memo up the Xerox
management chain to New York stating that she had no authority to grant access
to Xerox IP to an outside company, and beyond that felt it a very dangerous
thing to do from the point of view of patents and IP. She recommended that the
request be formally denied from the top.

It was a peculiar situation. Xerox management back East really didn't know what
they had been investing in with PARC, few if any successful products had come
out of PARC to date, and they didn't seem to quite understand the intensity of
Adele's response to Steve's request. So when Steve called the CEO and Chairman
of the Xerox board of directors, they invited him to visit for a meeting in New
York.

At the meeting, Steve pointed out that Xerox was a majority stockholder in the
fledgling Apple Computer company at the time. Xerox had been investing a huge
amount of money in Xerox PARC for a decade with little to show other than a
wonderful range of ideas and concepts that hadn't made it into any products
yet. Meanwhile, Apple Computer, then barely three years old, had been
delivering products (and profits in the form of dividends) on a consistent and
increasing basis since they held the stock. Steve wasn't asking for any code or
tangible IP, he was asking for access to people, ideas and concepts that hadn't
made Xerox any money yet on the promise that their holdings in Apple would
increase in value and return them dividends on their investment.

The end result was that the Xerox board of directors agreed to give Steve and
his engineers access and an in-depth tour with PARC's engineering staff, over
Adele's wishes and recommendations. It was apparent during the meetings at PARC
that followed that many of the people who'd been working on the technology for
years were disenchanted with Xerox because they wanted their ideas to make it
into products that people would use, not just sit on the shelves as research
papers. So a good number of them quit PARC over the next year and three, moving
to Apple to re-invent some of their ideas in a form that Apple could use, and
patent, for future products. The first systems that incorporated some of their
ideas were the Apple Lisa and then the original Macintosh.

This is why, when years later Xerox management (not the same folks Steve talked
to in 1979… of course) tried to suit Apple for infringement, the courts threw
the case out.

This all happened half a decade before NeXT existed, btw. The time period is
1979 to 1980; NeXT didn't come into being until 1985.

Microsoft engineering, under the direction of Steve Balmer and Bill Gates, ripped
off many of their ideas for Windows directly from the Xerox folks, at first, and
then from Apple, and actually ballyhooed their skill in doing so without being able
to be caught. They got away with it with some settlement money and other things at a
time when Apple was very weak financially and politically. They never had the
relationship with Xerox that Steve leveraged to obtain access, and the work they
ripped off was more specifically the re-invention/re-imagining of mouse, user
interactions, etc, that were all new work patented by Apple."

(Of course, Balmer and Gates had ripped off someone else's OS source code in
the first place (can't remember who's specifically at the moment) to revise
into a version for a 16-bit processor (Intel 8080) that was then licensed to
IBM (at the time, another big company that knew nothing about what was
happening on the West Coast with respect to microcomputers) with a ridiculously
poor (from IBM's perspective) licensing agreement that left Microsoft with the
ability to sell the OS to anyone they wanted without permission from IBM. Those
Gates and Balmer have a very long history as ripoff artists of the highest
grade, which Bill Gates has only partially eroded by his recent philanthropy
efforts.)

This story was told to me in parts by Alan Kay, Larry Tesler, Adele Goldberg,
Jeff Raskin, Steve Wozniak, and even a little bit by SJ himself, as well as a
couple of the smaller players in the drama at different times and in different
contexts, over a period from about 1986 to 1999. All the pieces told the same
story and fit together nicely, which is why I find it credible.

enjoy

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen