Kids are very very smart today and you bet they do a lot of research
on the Internet before making a decision.
So all kinds of DSLRs do come up but "Mirror Less" are mostly absent
or extremely limited, and forget 4/3rd Systems.

Again Photography Students buy mostly pre-owened Equipment, so that
getting a hit on-line for 4/3rd or Mirror Less Cameras are very
limited as their sales and market population are limited.
And their prices are not cheap if they find one compared to a pre-owened DSLR.

Also one cannot buy the idea that students do not have knowledge of
DSLRs so they turn up in Class with a P&S - what with the abundance of
folks carrying DSLRs on our streets, TV, Paper or Magazine Ads.

There is a joke now that Photography Students will turn up for
Photography Lessons with their Hi Tech Smart Phones - well why not?

And here is "proof of the pudding" - my grand daughter is three & a
half years old - she insists I let her have my Pentax K-5 IIs to take
a "pretend" photo. She does not want her Mom's Hi End Canon P&S.

Regards.
Bipin
camp: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada.