Mark, I was not referring to you when mentioning a "black and white" picture. Rather I was cautioning a potential reader of the information you've provided. (And other PDMLers have already started speculating about the absence/small quantity of certain categories.)

As for your and others being surprised about your students not hearing about 4/3rds or mirrorless, I can offer one (out of multiple) possible explanation. My good old friend whose daughter is roughly of the age of your students wanted to buy a reasonable camera for his family trip, and then for his daughter to take for her study-abroad program in China. Not being involved much in photography since his student years, he automatically thought about SLRs (obviously digital, as he's heard about that). Because in his mind there were P&S's and [D]SLR's. I pointed out to him some of the 4/3rds cameras, and he was surprised and happy, as those offered him (and his daughter who was skeptical about DSL's weight) much lighter photo bag, with the quality and amount of control more than sufficient for his needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of your student's decision for/information about the camera could've been influenced in some similar way by their parents.

Additionally, my personal (very subjective) impression is that in the past 2-3 years, the term "4/3rds" is not highlighted in the advertisement as much as it was when it was first introduced. And even the term "mirrorless" is not pushed forward too much in the advertisement for the mirrorless cameras.

Igor