It depends on the definition of the word "smart".
I would differentiate between "smart" and "wise".

Kids might lack the experience. And it is the experience that contributes (or rather, may contribute) to wisdom.

And then, there could be an additional vector called "knowledge", which is also based on some specialized experience. I.e. "knowledge" is a specialized version of wisdom.

So, coming back to your statement, Larry: Those kids could be as smart as they think; they just may not have a chance to become [as] wise.

Igor