On Sat, Oct 1, 2016, at 17:24, Igor PDML-StR wrote:
Larry has suggested a ball head as those typically have a slit
that allow
to tilt the camera by 90 degrees.
That is a possibility, but: 1. I would be overpaying for the
functionality
I don't need. (Or maybe I am not looking at the right ball heads? Are
there any inexpensive ones?)
and
2. A ball head has more degrees of freedom, which complicates the
situation when I need just to flip it from landscape to portrait
orientation.

i have used a monopod with a simple tilt head and concluded similarly to
Larry's comments that a ball would be better, particularly because i
often used the monopod for macros close to the ground — tilting both the
pole and the camera at odd angles becomes a necessity and a title head simply doesn't cut it

so i found a used Gitzo GH1780, a tiny 10 oz. ball head with enough tension
sensitivity to support the camera while allowing adjustment of the
camera position on demand (in comparison many small ball heads simply have a "locked/unlocked" feel); i enjoyed using it for a while, but as i've graduated to cameras with better shake suppression i don't use the monopod very often …