TM wrote, obviously regarding the above discussion:
> Sorry for the newbie question, but what is "visual discipline?"

I don't know either really, and I'm not even a newbie.
I just don't like the sound of it, why I thought I'd better disagree
with it right away before it gets too far... :)

> I don't really understand the need to learn photography w/ one
> fixed-focus
> lens, like a 50mm.

Neither do I.

> Is this so that you can better learn composition?

Don't know.

> Wouldn't the selection of focal length be part of the composition
> process?

I guess it would.

> I'm not interested in creating any works of art, just want to be
able to
> take nice photographs of my subjects and a zoom is very useful in
that
> one
> can choose a vantage point and select focal length to appropriately
> frame
> the photographed subject,

 That's roughly my way too.

> maybe more of a journalistic bent rather than
> artistic, if that is an appropriate characterization.

Well, artistic or journalistic - as far as zooms go, what difference
does it make?.
(I think I know what you mean though.)

Lasse