> From: "William Robb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Do zooms teach visual discipline? Was: Advice Needed For Student
>
>  . . .most photographers these days are not
> photographers. Often, they are trying to  do brain surgery with a hockey
> stick.
> William Robb

I definitely agree that we should leave brain surgery with a hockey stick to
the NHL players (sic). Let photographers focus on fixing negatives.

But seriously, leaving aside the four puns on the proceeding line, and back
on the topic of visual discipline:  I wonder why one would want to
discipline one's own or another's vision? Shouldn't we all, and especially
students, be trying to break free of external arbitrary disciplines and
learn our own way of seeing? I think the essential question is not whether
zooms can be used to teach visual discipline, but whether zooms can help a
beginner, or a pro, to see old things in new ways. Lasse says it worked for
him . . .

Stan