Steve Cottrell wrote:

Actually I agree with you Ralf.

The problem is that back in the 1980s and 1990s, here in the UK diesel was
pushed as the 'cleaner' fuel and hence was cheaper in price than petrol. the
government promoted diesel heavily and the car manufacturers followed suit
by making more of them.

Now we are seeing the true legacy.

It all boils down from the oil lobby and the car makers, simple as that.
Without the need to pander to oil-rich nations, we would all have been
driving battery, even hydrogen powered cars years ago. Instead we line the
pockets of certain nations who shall remain nameless but have lots of sand
and camels.

I need a big utility vehicle for work, but if I had a choice of a less
polluting method of propulsion, I would jump at it.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some 20+ years ago, I was involved with retro fitting 'green' diesel engines
in a large fleet, along with new exhaust systems which made them quieter and
had increased particulant traps. You'd have probably seen them on the
streets of London, as they were large and red. Now in 2016, there are hybrid
diesel electrics and hydrogen vehicles being rolled out.

On a personal level, it's difficult to find a replacement for my Land Rover.
I need something which takes up to 9 people fairly often, tows a horse box
and is generally good with unmade roads in poor weather. I had no choice
other than to buy a diesel version, as they phased the V8 petrol out as an
option long ago, and having in the past had one, I couldn't live with 12 MPG
as an average - go off road and that looks good. I get twice that with the
diesel. I'd like, in a few years' time a Range Rover again, when I'll be
able to manage with less seating, but it's really too plush and will get
scratched in the lanes pulling into gaps in narrow lanes. I have a really
good dealer I've dealt with for 20+ years, and have no intention of swapping
makes. I'd also like a petrol version, but that will come down to
economy/how much I then use it, which may actually be more.

I also may be forced into buying a petrol version, depending how London puts
in place 'ultra-low emission' boundaries for diesel vehicles in the not too
distant future.

Malcolm