here in india too diesel is about 18-20 per cent cheaper than petrol
and though diesel cars cost a little more initially, they are cheaper in
the long run and so sell quite a bit more. given that our cities were
not built for cars and that pollution/green laws are hardly enforced,
it is an environmental disaster that is already unfolding.

some cities have banned diesel engines older than ten years. new delhi,
one of the worst affected cities, banned the sale of cars with diesel
engines bigger than 2000cc but mercedes benz went to court recently and
got the ban lifted though the court asked that a 1% (of the cost of the
car) green tax be levied on sale of such cars. i personally believe that
it is time all cars for a personal use are taxed out of the roads and
the government build a well-thought out network of public
transportation. but in a culture where cars are equated with
'development' i don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

~subash