> On 10 December 2016 at 15:35 Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> A couple of months ago I spoiled myself in a major way and bought one of
> the new Nissan Titan diesel trucks, equipped with a 5 liter turbo
> Cummins engine. This is my first foray into the world of diesel engines.
> I expect there are a few people on the list that have more experience
> with the things.
> My questions all revolve around cold weather starting.
> What is considered cold for a Diesel?

Too many variables for that to have an easy answer. There are winter and summer
grades of fuel.  If there aren't many diesels around there, you could have
picked up a tank of summer grade from a slow moving supplier.

> Should plugging in the block heater make a difference?

Yes.  There are variations in block heaters, too.  Maybe your vehicle has one
designed for higher temps than yours, fitted to keep the production line
running.  Is it plugged in all night?

> Can glow plugs be flakey?

Yes but not until you've done a considerable mileage.  I'd be more inclined to
suspect the power feed, or even the software control of them in such a new
vehicle.

> It's not all that cold here right now. Anything below about -16ºC is an
> issue for this truck. This morning was -27ºC, and it took multiple
> attempts to get it running. Starting is completely automatic, the only
> control the driver has in this regard is a PHD button that initiates the
> start cycle. After that, it's up to the truck.
> I like the truck, but if I need to go out and start it and warm it up
> every 5-6 hours during the cold months, it is not going to be a pleasant
> vehicle to own.  They say don't idle it for extended periods because of
> the particulate filters, and if it is idled to much, it goes into
> perpetual regeneration of the filter, which means it's dumping raw fuel
> into the exhaust to burn off the soot. This drops gas mileage to about
> 60l/100km. One it is running, it is a joy to drive.

Dead right about the filters.  DPF equipped vehicles need to be run on longer
journeys, mostly, with regular vigorous use to keep the filters working well.