Sorry I didn't mean to belittle your fond memories of the area.  The rural
towns around here are great places with very friendly people and of course good
scenery.  My comment was aimed more at what us city folk see as a lack of
nightlife, which I'm a bit old for anyway.

You'd barely recognise Ashburton now, it's changed a lot even in the past
decade.  The dairy boom saw a bit of expansion going on.  Sadly the dairy
farmers are starting to find it hard since China slowed down.

Cheers,
Dave