Hi Brendan ...

You'll get no flak here, just kudos and a tip o' the hat.

Funny you should mention this, as I've been playing around with
exposures a little.  It's been a long time since I've used the camera's
built-in meter, and a couple of days ago I tried using the ME Super on
automatic, even adjusting a little for contrasty scenes or scenes that
were not "average".  The results were terrible.  Changing lenses changed
the exposure, moving the camera a bit changed the exposure, and, in
general, shadow detail was compromised by highlights that affected the
meter reading.

Now, I understand how meters work, but I wanted to see the results that
could be had with the camera essentially set on automatic.  They were
terrible.  Long ago I started carrying a hand-held meter and a grey
card, although I've rarely used the grey card, but I use a spot meter so
it's easy enough to find a middle grey tone in just about any scene.
Heck, a mid grey isn't even needed.  You can measure off something a
little brighter or darker and adjust the exposure from there.  Once I've
got the readings for a scene, or the area in which I'm shooting, the
camera setting remains constant.  The exposures are far better
controlled, and the tones are placed where I want them to be rather than
where they just happen to end up because some circuit or algorithm
inside the camera thinks it knows better than me how to expose a scene.

The other nice thing about what you're doing is that you'll soon have a
better understanding of light (if you pay attention and remember the
situations in which you've been shooting), and in time you'll discover
that a meter isn't always necessary, except, perhaps, for tricky
lighting situations.

BTW, a couple of tips that might be useful: newish or very minimally
faded blue jeans is about equivalent to mid grey.  Metering the palm of
your hand and open up one stop will give a good exposure.  Grass also
gives a good mid-tone reading.

Also, bear in mind that grey cards vary somewhat.  If you're not already
using one, get yourself a Kodak grey card package.  Very, very useful.

HTH,

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]