Along with bug fixes, a lot of the Thunderbird updates are to fix security issues.

No one wants to acknowledge security holes in their software, so unless it's one that's become an actual problem with a documented exploit, it probably won't be mentioned in the release notes.

I hate to bow to an arrogant SOB of a developer who introduces a bug and through ignorance and due to just plain pigheadedness refuses to admit he's wrong, but falling back to a previous version, probably isn't the best idea, unless something more serious is broken.

As I said I removed the "regular" reply button from the in message toolbar and haven't accidentally replied off list since. The smart reply button works the way you'd expect it to if the regular reply button isn't there.