Eric, if I may add my two cents here.

The 28mm is wider that 50-200, so by projecting more (wider angle of view)
on the same sensor size (Fuji and Pentax have both sensors of very similar
size) - you get an impression of sharper picture. The "livelieness" of the
picture is too subjective a term to be able to reason about it.

I have gone similar path - Pentax K-5 is my so far the last Pentax camera
I've been using. Then I bought into Ricoh GXR system that takes Leica
primes natively and bought two Zeiss primes for it. Then I had to move to
Olympus m43 system due to my personal problem.

I've recently registered with 500px and so in order to choose what to post,
I am looking through great many of my photos over all those years, starting
with *istD and ending with Olympus EM-1. What seems to me now is that all
those changes in what I was thinking of as "right" picture or "right"
rendering is an acquired and variable taste. At one time I thought that
K10D was all I needed. Then I really liked K-5. Then I "realized" that
Ricoh GXR was supreme. Then for a period of time I really preferred
Olympus... Now I seem to be back to Ricoh.

I think, that all these tools give different results and as time goes by my
own sense of what's aesthetically pleasing changes. So, it seems you're
started on your way. I can only wish you godspeed and all the enjoyment you
can have on the go.

No offense here, but Pentax is not a religion. It is just a tool, albeit
very capable and nice tool, but there are other tools out there and so
there is no reason not to learn about them and be able to use them to your
maximal advantage.

Just my pixels... Back to lurking mode.

Boris

--