> On Dec 15, 2017, at 1:31 PM, Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Eric, if I may add my two cents here.
>
> The 28mm is wider that 50-200, so by projecting more (wider angle of view)
> on the same sensor size (Fuji and Pentax have both sensors of very similar
> size) - you get an impression of sharper picture. The "livelieness" of the
> picture is too subjective a term to be able to reason about it.
>
> I have gone similar path - Pentax K-5 is my so far the last Pentax camera
> I've been using. Then I bought into Ricoh GXR system that takes Leica
> primes natively and bought two Zeiss primes for it. Then I had to move to
> Olympus m43 system due to my personal problem.
>
> I've recently registered with 500px and so in order to choose what to post,
> I am looking through great many of my photos over all those years, starting
> with *istD and ending with Olympus EM-1. What seems to me now is that all
> those changes in what I was thinking of as "right" picture or "right"
> rendering is an acquired and variable taste. At one time I thought that
> K10D was all I needed. Then I really liked K-5. Then I "realized" that
> Ricoh GXR was supreme. Then for a period of time I really preferred
> Olympus... Now I seem to be back to Ricoh.
>
> I think, that all these tools give different results and as time goes by my
> own sense of what's aesthetically pleasing changes. So, it seems you're
> started on your way. I can only wish you godspeed and all the enjoyment you
> can have on the go.
>
> No offense here, but Pentax is not a religion. It is just a tool, albeit
> very capable and nice tool, but there are other tools out there and so
> there is no reason not to learn about them and be able to use them to your
> maximal advantage.

Your two-cents are appreciated, Boris. Even before raising the subject here I
was aware that my experience with the 50-200 lens is not an ideal basis on
which to evaluate the brand overall. In fact I may not have a lens that would
give a fair assessment. As I said in my response to Larry, I’ll stay open to
the possibility that I’ve been unfair to Pentax. But my experience with my
minimal Fuji setup has been what it has been. I understand also that my comment
about the “liveliness” of the images I get with the Fuji equipment is
subjective—really more than subjective; more reflection of my lack of knowledge
and vocabulary for talking about what I’m experiencing. My favorite Pentax
setup was a *stD with an A 28/2.8 lens.

Appreciate your comment that our equipment preferences are to a large degree an
acquired taste with a significant aesthetic dimension.

Regards,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

(I)t is important that awake people be awake... the darkness around us is deep.

- William Stafford