On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

>  I've seen 4K TVs for around $300, but the images
> on them at the store are always over saturated, and pretty bad looking, but
> that might be due to source material that they try to make "pop".

In my (limited) experience, that oversaturated popping you see is the
whole intent. UHD adds an HDR equivalent process along with deeper
blacks, so exaggerated contrast is the result.

Ugly source material is also a factor. My setup came with a 4K UHD
Blu-ray of a kids animated flick (latest Ice Age installment) and it
was eyeball searingly awful to view. I will be tossing that disk onto
eBay I think.

BTW, in the fall I got a 4K UHD projector (Optoma UHD60) and Blu-ray
(Samsung UBD-M9500/ZA) and that acts as our "TV" as well as the main
purpose of screening movies. Watching films on a 100" screen is a
joyful experience. :)  The Blu-ray is on the net and streams anything
we'd be interested in, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube
documentaries, and a host of other stuff.

I spent some time fine-tuning the image through projector and Blu-ray
adjustments and I was able to tone down the saturation and crud so
movies look good.

--
-bmw