PJ,

When this happened on a PC laptop I had a dozen years ago, I updated
the BIOS to fix it (with our tech support guy at my elbow). I know
that the EFI in Macs works somewhat differently, but wonder if it has
acquired a mutation.

Fortunately, I have a Time Machine backup of the data, which is
intact. I plan to duplicate it tonight (using my MBP), just 'cause I'm
a pessimist.

Rick