Just when you thought I'd forgotten - my review of the PUG for May is
here. I remember having a quick look days and days ago, and thinking then
that this PUG was a corker (as we say here in England) and that I'd need
to devote lots of time in having a good squint (as we also say) and
giving it some skodge (as we don't say - made that one up). In fact, on
the day, as it were, time has nearly defeated me, and I better get this
done, so you see, pretty pronto, catch my drift, give it my best, jolly
good show, what? Nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat. Following this?

No? Follow this instead:

(Usual disclaimers: all shots are of high standard - pick out the ones
that stop me longer - babble on a few words - log off knowing full well
there's people out there with a better eye than me!)

*         *         *         *         *         *         *         *
      *         *         *         *        *

Inhale, Exhale, Relax (mountain lake scene)
Thomas Cakalic
Those mountains look like they were painted on! Beautiful vista, nice
shot.

Jetty (gull on a jetty)
Leon Altoff
Couldn't decide on this one - but ended up looking at it a full minute so
it must have something! Do you carry a plastic gull with you for these
occasions ? ;-) I can see where you are going with keeping the posts
level with the horizon, but I just don;t know if it works or not. It must
do or I wouldn't have written all this about it. I keep thinking that
someone's got the gull tethered from the left and is about to yank it
off. Hitchcock would feel right at home with this. Well observed.

Walkway (colourful wooden footbridge over water)
Martin Mielke
Nice composition, feel to it. Draws the eye right in. Pleasant.

The Sun Sets (a sunset over dam water)
Gaurav Aggarwal
I always mention first timer PUGsters, and Gaurav has provided a brave
attempt with an easy subject to shoot - a difficult subject to shoot
well. Sunsets are ten a penny, and keeping the viewer looking is the real
trick. Watch those horizons! Lord knows I've learnt the hard way :-) Well
done Gaurav.

The Summer Palace (tonal gradation landscape water/hills/mountain/temple)
Aconquija
Breathless! Fantastic result here from a stunning view. Plenty of water
in the air, mist hanging, lit beautifully giving perfect tonal gradation.
Muted colour, serene feel, compositional elements all there. You sign it,
I'll hang it! Lovely.

Evening Tranquillity (dusk clouds/silhouetted trees)
Rob Renner
I'm a sucker for trees and clouds, Rob has both here. Really crisp feel
to this, the colours in those clouds is great. Smashing shot, and well
scanned with good contrast.

Rays (grainy clouds/sun rays)
Tim Bettis
First timer Tim has started out on a trip that will take him hours or
years. The most important hint or tip anyone could ever give to you is
this: do it for yourself. If you like it, it is right. If you feel you
can do better, then keep doing it until you get it just how you want.
Read, study, experiment. Be yourself. Good start!

Across From the Hall (building low vantage upright)
Christopher Lillja
An unusual crop of a building, it works for me. Loads of upright
parallels whisk the eye up to the blue blue sky. Good scan with crisp
contrast and great colour. Well done!

One Day in December (Vietnam Memorial lone figure)
Chris Skofteland
Lovely perspective, muted colours except for the bright blue of the
lonely figure searching for a name on a wall. Poignant and introspective.
Works on many levels. Simply a fine image, portraying a sombre subject
with dignity. Thanks Chris.

University College - U of T St George Campus (upright ornate building)
James Relunia
Premier PUGster James aims his PZ-1p high up for an architectural study
of a prestigious and historic facade. Nice effort, with plenty to admire.
More please.

Windy Picnic (trees and walkway landscape, picnic people)
Amita Guha
Amita's first roll of monochrome through her SLR and she knows right away
what it's all about. It's about shape and form, it's about tone and
texture, it's about composition and elements. They're all here. It would
work without the people, but they add plenty: nice to come of the trees
and find them, almost hidden. The crop is nice, well done.

Jes (graffiti street scene)
Geoff Moes
Gritty grab of the sort of thing that made many a photographer famous.
Geoff is keeping the side up here. Plenty of statement on urban street
furniture, well composed.

Fragile Fern (green fern against grey rock)
Geoffrey Stevens
Simply: just a nice shot. Well done!

Leaning Tree (colourful trees/branches)
Kathy Leickly
Kath - you better start thinking of getting an agent - you consistently
turn up really nice shots. Your eye of fine detail is well and truly
wedged into the photographic, er, socket. Just such a nice image.
Stunning colour and composition. The light is just right and it's a print
I would be proud to hang on my wall (20X30 wood frame please ;-) so no
surprise here for my runner up this month. Congrats!

>From the Botanic Gardens (green abstract with wiggly thing)
Petr Pazour
I think abstracts are always worth a mention if only for the brave people
responsible. Let's face it, abstracts are done only for the pleasure of
their creators, and the viewer either likes it, or does not. I like this
one. Well done Petr.

Tree on Fire (amazing flowing colours)
Jostein Yksne
What did I just write ?? ;-) Another stunning example of something that
another photographer might dismiss out of hand as tosh. I think it's
fabulous! Sure you could do this in Photoshop with a few splotches of
colour *but that's not the point* as Jostein knows only too well.

Afternoon (chain plus shadow)
Facit
Brilliant study of shape and form. The chain hangs next to a wall,
finding a distorted mimic in the shadow. <clunk> as my jaw hits the
floor. Astonishing.

Night Sculpture (strong shapes/colours against black)
Gabriel Bovino
Nice work. Must be an abstract kinda month!

Curves (racing car abstract)
Doug Franklin
Nice work Doug - strong composition and colour. No disputing where your
loyalties lie. Cheers.

Walking Shadow (pavement reflection)
Gianfranco Irlanda
Superlatives would be fruitless here. Join me in expressing utter
admiration for this awesome image and its creator. Gianfranco has taken
photography and stood it on its head - quite literally. Simply: I want to
be able to make pictures like this! How is it possible to get colour like
that out of a reflection in a dull concrete surface? Sheer brilliance in
our midst and a popular and acknowledged master of the art. Take a bow
and collect my pic of the month award yet again, dammit. Bella! Ciao!

Red bellied Water Snake (red bellied water snake :-)
Mark Cassino
Fine example of a reptile a few of us know well, a few of us don't, and a
few don't want to! Fascinating image, great explanation. Cheers!

Le Petit Prince (tree frog)
Harold Rust
Charming shot - well composed and sharp where it needs to be. Nicely
observed.

Kerri (mono female side shot)
Paul Ewins
Nice aspect of the female form. Good use of monochrome, well done!

Skating Policeman in Paris (odd police on skates..!)
Jaume Lahuerta
Works fine for me Jaume. Nice composition. I had to look several times to
see if I was understanding what I as seeing. The lens was fine - like it
just as is.

Annie and Brodie (woman and dog jumping on beach)
James Donnellan
Remarkable decisive moment with the feet amazingly in sync, millimetres
from the sand. Eye-catching composition. Nice one!

Consider the Moon (boy against blue sky)
Ollen Mullis
Oddly, this shot works better for me without the moon. Stunning graphic
image of a lad hanging in the air. Photoshop eatyerheartout.

(boy that was a solid 2 hours! half past midnight zzzz)

Well done to all who submitted - it was one of the best galleries for a
while. I am always pleased by the frequently high standard of
contributions of ALL the images. You should all be proud!

Til next month,

Cotty