On May 5, 2018, at 12:25 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

> Interesting.  So many people get into things like radio and photography
> professionally as an extension of a personal interest that first has them
> doing it as a hobby.
>
> In college, I was talking to someone in my basic circuits class about the
> lecture on resistor bridges. I commented that they looked like full wave
> rectifiers, but with resistors rather than diodes, and I was blown away that
> someone could be in their second year of Electrical Engineering without
> already knowing basic electronics from personal interest.

Wot U Sed.

Especially when I returned to school after mustering out of the service, almost
all the classes I enrolled in were to experience in a fuller-than-previously
deep level the things I already enjoyed (there weren't many experiences falling
outside that boundary.) Along the way there were the "Ooh, shiny!" diversions
from what never really was a definite path through Academia!, and me gob was
likewise ensmacked to encounter others in those classes like those bright bulbs
you mentioned above. I'm spatiotemporally "here" now, gainfully-retired, and
still misusing the lo-cal institutions of instructions to get that same depth,
and I *still* encounter too many otherwise bright folks who wear the blinders.

Life's too short, Kids!
--
"I think we are pole vaulting over mouse manure here."