I handhold my 300/4 at 1/125 with good success. I would imagine that I
could handhold the 400 at 1/250. Much as one can handhold a 200mm lens
on a 35mm camera at 1/250. I also think that my 300/4 vibrates less when
handheld than it does on a flimsy tripod. There's a certain amount of
damping in the hands. On a good tripod, like my Bogen 3036 with 3047
head, it seems to be rock solid at any shutter speed.
Paul