> On Dec 20, 2018, at 5:35 PM, Matthew Hunt <m...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 4:48 PM Rick Womer <rickpic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. I have LR 6.14 installed on my computer. Why should it be updating
>> anything from Google?
>
> You don't have maps and images of the whole world on your computer.
> When you use the mapping module in Lightroom, it accesses Google's
> servers for the maps and images.

I’ve never used the mapping module in LR. I =did= use my keywords, a lot!

I really have no idea what to do here.

>> 2. I have two TimeMachine backups running. Why can’t one revert to a version
>> of the Google API that doesn’t cripple Lightroom?
>
> The changes are in Google's servers. They are changing the API (the
> way that software such as Lightroom needs to talk to their servers to
> retrieve maps). The old way that your copy of Lightroom 6 uses is no
> longer supported.
>
>> 3. Why are the people who run large tech companies such jerks?
>
> Maintaining and old API in addition to the new API would incur costs
> to Google, which they do not wish to incur. Adobe incurs costs
> updating Lightroom to the new API, and they recover these costs
> through the subscription pricing model, which you have elected not to
> pay. This is, to be frank, an example of why even "software that's
> finished and works" requires maintenance, and why software companies
> are moving to subscription models to the degree that the market allows
> them to do so.

Adobe’s terrible customer service has always indicated to me that they don’t
give a damn about their users once they have their money. So I guess I
shouldn’t be surprised when they disable a vital feature in order to maintain a
couple of bells-and-whistles.

Rick