Could you do an image backup of your hard drive right now before doing whatever you have to do to decompress the older backup?

Maybe make a copy of the older backup and decompress from that.

That way you'd have the status quo ante to return to if it somehow screws up Lightroom and/or you wouldn't risk Lightroom corrupting the older backup with whatever is going on with it.