Good point.

For the most exotic *landscape* locations, I'd argue that hotels and street addresses are hard to come by. But redundancy in ways to reconstruct itineraries is a must.

GPS helps, and so does a diary or travel log. Even receipts from stores or highway toll stations can be valuable. Scrapbooking in the time after the journey, while the memories are still fresh is another alternative. I'm sure there are more good ways too, but those are the ones that work for me.

Oh, and the good old "stick to your plan" is good too. For longer trips I leave a reasonably detailed itinerary with close family before I go. The harder the hotels and street addresses are to come by, the more important that document is. :-)

Jostein